Education, Training & Certifications
Chiawen Lucy Liang, M.D. is a board certified specialist in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R), also known as physiatry. She has additional board certifications in Neuromuscular Medicine and Electrodiagnostic Medicine. Dr. Liang graduated Summa Cum Laude from The Cooper Union in New York City with a Bachelor degree in Engineering. She completed medical school training at New York University School of Medicine also in New York City. She completed PM&R residency at UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School and Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in New Jersey.
She completed her fellowship training in Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine at Harvard Medical School’s combined program at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
She is a member of the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and serves on the Knowledge Now Pain/Neuromuscular Medicine editorial board. She is also a member of the Association of Academic Physiatrists and the American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine, and serves on many different committees. She is active in teaching medical doctors at the Harvard Medical School, and has also been invited to give lectures locally as well as nationally.
Her clinical focus is on diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of Neuromuscular Disease, with particular interest in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), peripheral neuropathy, myasthenia gravis, and muscle disorders such as myositis or muscular dystrophy. She also treats disease of bone, joint, muscle, tendon and nerve.
She has expertise in electrodiagnostic procedure (also known as nerve conduction study and electromyography or EMG). She also has expertise in regenerative joint injection, ultrasound image guided interventional procedures, spasticity management, and other procedures including: botulinum toxin injection, nerve block, peripheral joint injection and regenerative joint injection such as prolotherapy and plasma rich plasma (PRP). Dr. Liang has volunteered on medial mission and traveled abroad to Honduras with the Hackett Hemwall Patterson Foundation from University of Wisconsin to teach other physicians and to perform prolotherapy.
Dr. Liang’s goal is to restore function, improve quality of life, reduce pain, and promote active and healthy lifestyle for her patients.
Medical Condition Specialty
Conditions that Dr. Liang specializes in:
- Neuromuscular disease (including but not limited to: motor neuron disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis/ALS, myasthenia gravis, myopathy, and neuropathy)
- Localized pain such as: back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, elbow pain, wrist pain, hand pain, hip pain and knee pain
- Muscle strain, sprain, tendonitis, bursitis
- Radiculopathy/pinched nerve
- Peripheral nerve injury and pain
- Occipital neuralgia and trigeminal neuralgia
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS)
- Meralgia Paresthetica (lateral femoral cutaneous neuropathy/thigh pain)
Medical Procedure Specialty
Diagnostic and treatment procedures that Dr. Liang specializes in:
- Electrodiagnostic testing (EMG/ electromyography and nerve conduction study)
- Ultrasound image guided interventional procedures
- Regenerative joint injection
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
- Peripheral joint injection
- Trigger point injection
- Knee joint viscosupplementation
- Botulinum toxin injection (BOTOX)
- Nerve block